Surgery Day

Yesterday I had breast cancer surgery.

I've been known to faint at the sight of needles or blood.  I'd never been under general anesthetic before.  My anxiety was brewing.  But being upset or scared wasn't going to help anyone let alone me.  With the help of my caring husband, cute videos from my twin sister of my 4 month old goddaughter and my meditation practice I was able to keep my calm.  In fact, three different doctors commented on my slow pulse.

The process began the day before the surgery.  We had photos taken, met with the anesthesiologist, had some blood work done and checked to ensure our little ones' heart beat was strong.  Then yesterday morning, surgery day, we arrived back at the hospital shortly after 7am.  My surgery wasn't scheduled until noon. We were asked to arrive early to get some shots (in my breast!) beforehand and in case for some reason the other patients weren't able to proceed with their surgeries I'd be ready to go.  Waiting it out without being permitted to eat anything 12 hours before surgery or drink any water 6 hours before surgery wouldn't have been my first choice on how to spend a day off from work we made the best of it.  We had a hospital room to ourselves with plenty of sunlight.  We talked, napped, read our books and watched cute videos of our goddaughter.

Shortly before noon I got suited up in my hospital shirt, boxers and tights.


I was wheeled in my bed to the surgery room.  I have to say it was rather luxurious to be pushed through the corridors while lying down when I was perfectly capable of walking.  When we reached the surgery room I had to say goodbye to my husband - and my glasses.  That's when the benefits of my mediation practice really kicked in.  I meditated on the idea of my husband and I sitting on a mountain in Sri Lanka overlooking a lake and took deep slow breaths.  My meditation was only interrupted by the doctors informing me that they promised to care for me like I was former US president Barak Obama.  Trump?  Not so much.  A nice chuckle before the IV went into my hand, the oxygen went over my face and I was fast asleep.

I awoke feeling sore, sleepy and a bit nauseous but generally fine.  I felt even better when the surgeon shared that the cancer was completely localized and hadn't spread to my lymph nodes.  He went on to inform us that I wouldn't be allowed to get on a plane within the next couple weeks.  It's a shame since we had been looking forward to our sunny Easter vacation since Christmas but, fortunately, we were able to cancel the flights for a full refund.

After drinking some green juice and having some rye bread I thought I was ready to blow that popsicle stand.  The nurse advised that I try to take a walk down the hospital corridor first.  The plus side is that my mind is stronger than my body.  The down side is that I barely walked around the corner and I had to sit down again.

A couple hours later, 11 hours after arriving at the hospital, I was discharged and biked home in the sunshine!  Grandmothers and children blew by me on their bikes but I felt like a total badass.  There are so many things in life that you can't control but you can control your reaction and your response.  And so I did.

Comments

  1. Thanks to Dr Williams I am so happy today, my wife have been suffering from breast cancer for the past 8 years now, and i have spent a lot on western drugs which has all proved abortive, i have tried all means in life to get my wife out of this , but there was no answer until i decided to try herbal solution and i found Dr Williams online and i contacted him and after she took his medication as instructed, my wife is now completely cure from breast cancer within those week of usage, i am so much happy, thanks to Dr Williams for helping me get my wife life back again without any form of crisis, i promise to tell your name and good deeds to the whole world,if you have someone with cancer you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for more information .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Sophie from Canada, I once suffered from a terrible and Chronic breast cancer ,since 30years now , the doctor told me there was no permanent cure i was given medications to slow down its progress, i constantly felt my health was deteriorating as i constantly go out of breath,and this illness was really terrible especially when am going out with my friends, i have this constant disorder for about 30 years, this was really a terrible illness ,on thin one day that i was going through the internet,and i came across a post of Mrs shelley on how his husband was been cured from colon cancer through the help of Dr Williams herbal product, I contacted this herbal doctor via his email and explain everything to him and make purchase of his product,few days later he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received the herbal medicine, i used it for 1 months as prescribed by Dr Williams and i was totally cured within those week of usage,on thin now i have not experience any sign or characteristics again . for more information you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts