To hide it or to work it?

Why do you care about style or wear makeup?  I'd say it's to give yourself a self-esteem boost and to feel more confident.

The interesting realization in growing my waistline while losing my hair (!) has been that my self-esteem isn't as tied up in my appearance as I thought it was.  I'm realizing that my self-esteem has a lot more to do with encourgement from my social network - in other words, the amazing daily support of my family and friends.

I didn't learn of my breast cancer and pregnancy and have this thought fall upon me.  First I thought about how terrible it'd be to be fat and bald.

The shift has happened by reminding myself that my body is nourishing a life and needs to accommodate the demands of a growing baby while acting as a cancer assassin.  Reminding myself of this helps me put my appearance into perspective.  It has taken time to adjust and my outlook still varies from day to day but the fact is that I don't look in the mirror each morning and miss my curly hair and abs.  My mind goes to which designer turban I'll wear that day or, yes, how amazing my cleavage looks pregnant - but more importantly, my mind goes to my friends and family who think all of this makes me a total badass and that gives me my self-esteem boost.

Having said all this - my physical appearance does still matters to me and all of these changes beg the question: To hide it or to work it?

The Babe: To hide the bump or work the bump
I'm 22 weeks pregnant now which means I am six months pregnant with our little boy.  Crazy.  Up until yesterday I had only worn loose tops and dresses that didn't reveal, let alone highlight, my bump.  Then yesterday a girlfriend asked me to wear a dress to lunch that showed I was pregnant.  I obliged and put on a maternity dress for the first time.  I felt so on display!  Maternity dresses accentuate the, albeit small, bump in all the right places.  In the battle versus to hide it or to work it, I may have to start working it more.

The odd thing when wearing a tight dress now is that I'm used to sucking it in after a big meal or for pictures.  Alas, all attempts are in vain and it takes a bit of getting used to that it's OK to let it (or should I say him?) all hang out!

The Boob: To hide the bald head or to work the bald head
Since losing my hair I have chosen to go the scarf and turban route over the wig route but here's a route that I've only recently considered - bald.

I am not considering walking around with a bald head because I'm dying to stand out.  Hardly.  I'm considering walking around with a bald head because it's summer time and it's warm.

I have gone for two jogs with a bald head and I've sat with my turban off once in, Christiania, the alternative part of town.  Maybe I'll have to work it a bit more.  I'll consider starting by going to yoga sans scarf or turban.


What I'm learning is that my self-esteem isn't as dependent on appearance as I thought.  My self-esteem is partly about body image and being comfortable in my own skin - meaning feeling sexier in a tight dress than an oversized top and choosing not to sweat to death wearing a turban in the noon sun - but my self-esteem is more tied up in the support from the amazing people in my life.  What makes me feel good about myself each day is how strong my friends and family think I am for balancing The Boob and The Babe.

Comments

  1. Hi Nora and Anders,
    So sorry we missed you on your visit to CLE. Your mom shared your blog with us, and we just want you to know that we are so very proud of you! You are in our prayers and thoughts every day, and know that you are loved and supported beyond belief! You've got your priorities exactly right. Just continue this journey the way you have, and you'll get past it with flying colors. You are so beautiful, and we are with you every step of the way. A friend who goes to Resurrection church saw all of you at the baptism, and she told me what an uplifting, amazing, and beautiful celebration it was!
    Much love,
    Denise and Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from CANCER, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered cancer in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she always complain of abnormal vaginal bleeding, and she always have pain during sexual intercourse. . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to cancer . I never imagined cancer. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time she was fully okay even up till this moment she is so full of life. cancer. has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Dr Williams I am so happy today, my wife have been suffering from breast cancer for the past 8 years now, and i have spent a lot on western drugs which has all proved abortive, i have tried all means in life to get my wife out of this , but there was no answer until i decided to try herbal solution and i found Dr Williams online and i contacted him and after she took his medication as instructed, my wife is now completely cure from breast cancer within those week of usage, i am so much happy, thanks to Dr Williams for helping me get my wife life back again without any form of crisis, i promise to tell your name and good deeds to the whole world,if you have someone with cancer you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for more information .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am Sophie from Canada, I once suffered from a terrible and Chronic breast cancer ,since 30years now , the doctor told me there was no permanent cure i was given medications to slow down its progress, i constantly felt my health was deteriorating as i constantly go out of breath,and this illness was really terrible especially when am going out with my friends, i have this constant disorder for about 30 years, this was really a terrible illness ,on thin one day that i was going through the internet,and i came across a post of Mrs shelley on how his husband was been cured from colon cancer through the help of Dr Williams herbal product, I contacted this herbal doctor via his email and explain everything to him and make purchase of his product,few days later he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received the herbal medicine, i used it for 1 months as prescribed by Dr Williams and i was totally cured within those week of usage,on thin now i have not experience any sign or characteristics again . for more information you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts