Oh Jack, you are so loved.

None of my other posts were written over multiple days at 3am.  And certainly not hooked up to a breastmilk pump.

My life has changed quite a bit in the last three weeks.....I became a mom!  In going from "Sick Nora" to "Mor Nora" I went from sleeping 11-12 hours straight a night (not including daytime naps!) to 4-6 non-consecutive hours a night.   I went from spending most of my day thinking about how I could improve my health to spending most of my day thinking about how to care for a small human on decidedly less sleep.  I think I must have magical mother superpowers to have made this shift happen without hitting a wall.  Who am I kidding?  It wouldn't be possible without all the support from Anders, our family and friends.

I continue looking at little Jack in amazement that just three weeks ago he was inside of me.  Those little toes that I can now hold in my hand are the same ones that I felt kicking the top of my stomach.  Those little lips are the same ones we saw in profile on the ultrasound scans.

Jack was born a month early at 2237 grams/4.9 lbs and 46cm/19in.  Anders and I went to the hospital that Tuesday morning as we were in the habit of doing most Tuesday morning.  It was just supposed to be a routine check to ensure that Jack was doing alright through my cancer treatment.  But....our doctor noticed that there was considerably less amniotic fluid than the week before.  Turns out my water had broken and I hadn't even noticed!  Our doctor announced, "Nora, you won't be going home again until your baby boy is born".  Oh my.

Anders canceled all of his meetings and went home to go change out of his suit and pack a bag for us.  I tried to take a nap on the hospital bed but was really just lying there in disbelief.  Instead of being induced from the outset my body was naturally going into labor!  I don't know if it was the raspberry leaf tea, the dates, the rebozo, the osteopath, not leaning back, not sleeping on my back or any other of the esoteric ways believed to bring about labor that I tried - or maybe the time was just right.  Only the night before I had said to Anders that, while no one can feel fully ready, I was feeling as ready as I could be for Jack to arrive.  Nice to know Jack takes instruction well.

According to many natural birth experts, if you get to the hospital too early, there is more time for interventions, so the key is to labor at home as long as possible to avoid that.  I didn't have the luxury of avoiding the hospital for as long as possible.  There I was hooked up to a million machines but I was so happy that my labor had started naturally that it made me feel confident that Jack and I could avoid complications.  Even though my body wasn't in it's top form post chemo I was ready for the journey ahead.

From about 7am to 7pm I naturally dilated to 5cm (out of 10 cm).  Usually it takes about 10 hours for a first time mother to dilate the rest of the way from 5cm to 10.  It took me 2.5 hours.  At about 7:30pm I was induced with an IV drip to augment contractions since it's best to give birth within 24 hours after your water breaks to avoid infection.  In mere minutes I went from managing the contractions fine to not being able to speak.  I just wanted to crawl out of my body for relief.  The key is to relax in between the contractions as much as possible so you can build up energy to get through the next one but it just felt like one big contraction.  Right when I was starting to consider asking for an epidural the nurse (jordemor in Danish) told me to push.

At first it took me awhile to get a hang of pushing. I had been focused on my breath through the intensity of the contractions and now I was supposed to push through contractions while holding my breath – the opposite of what I had been doing all day long.  Somehow I missed the concept of holding your breath and pushing in birth prep class and taking in new information was not my forte at that moment.  I kept my eyes closed and gave it my all until I heard the words "Nora, open your eyes.  Your son is here".

And at 10:01pm, with Bach's Cello Suite by Yo-Yo Ma playing in the background, there he was.



Despite 8 months of being pregnant, when seeing Jack for the first time, I was in shock and awe that he had been inside me just minutes before. Our little Jack had arrived safely into the world.

The next day we learned from the umbilical chord analysis that Jack was never under any of the stress during birth that the doctors were concerned may cause complications post chemo.  He's small and had a few issues that required that we stay at the hospital for five nights and go back and forth to the hospital each day for his first two weeks but they were all manageable and common complication with premature babies.

The day after Jack was born we also learned my doctor's perspective on the birth - thankfully she wasn't there to offer those words of encouragement the night before.  She asked me if I thought I was going to die during the birth!  Um, no.  Apparently, it's highly unusual to dilate from 5 to 10 centimeters so quickly and doing so basically skips the breaks in contractions which can cause moms to panic.  To be clear, there was a fair amount of panic on my part but I'd take it over a multiple day labor any time.  The nurse kept ensuring me that Jack was going to be born by the end of her shift if I stayed focused so I just beat up poor Anders a little more and, literally, pushed through.

Over the last three weeks Jack has already changed so much and, while I didn't know it was possible, my love for him has grown even more.  I've been overjoyed to be able to exclusively provide breastmilk for Jack for these first three weeks (with the help of breastmilk donations from a truly amazing friend with a son close in age to make up the gap in my own production).  Now we'll make the switch to formula as I gear up for 18 rounds of radiation.  My mom and Anders' mom will be coming to town to provide us with extra support and Jack with extra love.  Oh Jack, you are so so loved.






Comments

  1. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS WITH HIS HERBAL PORTION I WAS COMPLETELY CURED FROM BREAST CANCER.
    I'm here again to appreciate. DR WILLIAMS God will always continue to bless you more abundantly, for the good works you done in my life, I will always keep on writing good and posting my testimonies about you on the Internet, I’m Jessica from Orlando, Florida. I was tested breast cancer positive, I saw a blog on how DR WILLIAMS cured people with his herbal portion, i did not believe in natural medicine but i just decided to give him a try, I contacted him,and explain my situation to him,few day later he sent me the herb, after taking doc Williams herbal medicine for few week i also got my healing with his herbal portion, i am so happy. If you have any type of cancer problem ,you can contact him on Drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product,i hope this testimony also help some one out there .

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are David
    Clara I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of
    breast cancer and her name is David Sandra I and my family have taking her
    to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to go to
    the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady
    called peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a
    herbal man who has the root and half to cure all kind of disease and the
    herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man for my
    younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him
    my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be
    cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that
    I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how
    can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me

    That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
    transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for
    the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier
    service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week
    complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not
    knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the
    miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the
    herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he
    didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him
    and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if
    you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from
    the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com/ drsakuraspellalter.wordpress.com or whatsapp him
    +2348110114739 for the cure, he will help you out with the
    problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me
    davidclara223@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Dr Williams I am so happy today, my wife have been suffering from breast cancer for the past 8 years now, and i have spent a lot on western drugs which has all proved abortive, i have tried all means in life to get my wife out of this , but there was no answer until i decided to try herbal solution and i found Dr Williams online and i contacted him and after she took his medication as instructed, my wife is now completely cure from breast cancer within those week of usage, i am so much happy, thanks to Dr Williams for helping me get my wife life back again without any form of crisis, i promise to tell your name and good deeds to the whole world,if you have someone with cancer you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for more information .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting. This blog is about being diagnosed with the breast cancer while pregnant. Gynecologist In Medavakkam and Gynecologist In Madipakkam will give you the best treatment, they are focused in your health and comfort. You should look over the best infrastructure where you can adapt without any problem like cm hospital.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts